Monday, February 3, 2014

Dubai Diaries 3: ....friends indeed

My last post said that Dubai, with all its grandeur, seemed overwhelming for a newcomer. I will use this post to mention how there was something more overwhelming that I found – the support, help & love that I got from the few known people here.

There are 3 very important sets of people who have gone out of their way to help me. Dinesh uncle & Meena Aunty, Varun & Nidhi and Sonia & family – all of them have treated me like one of their own family here.

Varun – of course. We have been friends for over a decade now. He was there to pick me up from the airport. He dropped me home, took me out to eat and he & his wife Nidhi ordered a cake to celebrate my birthday – Yes, I had moved to Dubai on my birthday. It made me feel so nice to have someone in the new unknown place.

Like I have mentioned earlier, house-hunting here can be a bitch. Varun was there during each and every day, almost, of my househunt. He took me around to various buildings. And the only reason I could scope multiple areas was because he took time out and drove me around everywhere. Else, it would have been too expensive & largely impossible for me to see all the houses/areas that I did.

I never had to worry about home-food. When I first ate at their place, Nidhi asked me what I was doing for food. I told her I have a few “ready to eat” packets that will help me till my Nidhi gets here. And I will manage by eating outside if I run out of packets. And she told me, “Kyu ? Bahaar kyu khaayega ? Nidhi aayegi tab tak roz yahaan aa jaa”. And, I was…overwhelmed.

Dinesh Uncle – he is an absolute angel ! I have no words to thank him or describe how much he readily does for someone who he doesn’t even know. First, he is not related to me. He is not related to Nidhi. He is the paternal uncle of one of Nidhi’s friends ! And, frankly – it would have been extremely difficult for me without his guidance& help.

He helped me during my househunt by speaking to multiple agents himself & setting up house viewings for me. He took me around Dubai on weekends. He was the one who came with me when I booked the flat and even went to a local temple here before that.

He has some relatives here and they, as a rule, have dinner together on Saturdays. I have been invited to each and every one of those family meetings.

You know what – I read my post at this stage & no matter what I write, it’s not going to do justice in describing the importance of Dinesh uncle. Suffice to say – he’s an absolute gem of a person from whom I have a lot to learn !

And.. Sonia – she and also her family have been so kind to me. I mean, I am a complete stranger for her family. Even Sonia & I have been close friends only for a couple of years.

Here, I have gone out with the family for movies and on day trips and they have ensured that my days here are not uneventful. I was helped in my househunt with some agent contact details & even visited a few buildings with Sonia. Her brother helped me with a few agents he knows. Her parents are extremely sweet and talking with them when I was at their place helped me calm down during my initial stressful days here.

All in all, like I said – yes the city overwhelms you – but the people I have here – their selfless support has overwhelmed me more.

------

On a side note – finally my family is here. Mom & dad, who left today, were here for 10 days to visit/vacation and help set up the house. However, looking back, it seems vacationing was the last thing on their mind as the house set up process has been totally put on the fast track ! They were here for a total of 10 days.. and I am sure I will see them again in 3-4 months, when they come back !

And, Nidhi – 45 days without her ! the last highest number of days I last spent without her was…4 ! I have missed her in each and everything I have done here.
But finally, I have her here.. for this exciting new journey, I have my co-pilot, ready to fly with me..

No comments:

Post a Comment